Sunday, October 7, 2012

Steak Salad with Blackberry Vinaigrette

Eating vegetables can be tricky at Casa de Lamer.  Eric and I both like vegetables, but never agree on which ones are the least offensive to eat.  Eric loves broccoli (meh...I can take it or leave it), I love grilled asparagus that are crunchy (Eric likes his boiled into oblivion then smothered in mayonnaise), I love brussel sprouts (Eric...does not).  You see where I'm going with this.

I came up with this recipe in an attempt to get us eating more leafy greens in a way that was easy to make and didn't require two different vegetable dishes.

*DING*DING*DING*  

We have a winner folks!  This salad fits the bill for us both so I imagine we'll be eating this quite a bit now that it's not 100+ degrees outside and grilling has once again become a reasonable way to prepare a meal.  Life in the valley...*sigh*...

I present to ya'll:

STEAK SALAD WITH BLACKBERRY VINAIGRETTE

Ingredients for Dressing:

~  1-2 tbps. balsamic vinegar
~  1-2 tbsp. rice vinegar
~  tsp. blackberry jam (or whatever you have on hand, apricot is good too!)
~  one good squirt of agave nectar or honey
~  2 tbsp. dijon mustard
~  1 tsp. chopped garlic
~  Salt and pepper to taste (I love Costco's Pink Himalayan Salt.  Check out health benefits HERE)
~ 1/4 cup of olive oil

***I dump all of these ingredients into a mixing bowl and slowly whisk in the olive oil.  Use any ingredients you have on hand that are similar and taste as you go.  You'll know what to add to make it perfect!


STEAK MARINATING MAGIC

I read an article in Playboy magazine (yup, we get it and the articles are great!) written by a chef who gave some great tips for marinating meat.  I can't locate the article to confirm his name...but whoever he is he's a Meat God and I love him.  If I find it I'll post it later.  His tips have been great for grilling and I use them on any steak we grill.  I bought a London Broil on sale but that cut can be pretty tough.  Per Meat God's instructions I marinated the steak for about three hours in sea salt.  He suggested that you cover every inch of the meat in salt, and when you think you have enough add a smidge more.  I'm confident Meat God used "smidge" so there is no need to question that detail. After the steak sat in salt for a few hours I rinsed it well under cold water, then dried with a paper towel.  I threw it back in the covered dish smothered in Salt Lick and let her sit for a few more hours.  We tossed it on the grill and cooked until it was medium rare.  *mouth waters*


Use the link above to procure yourself some Salt Lick. You'll praise me with gratitude and I will love it!  We both win!!!


The London Broil soaking up the salty goodness.

I threw together the salad with the ingredients I had in the fridge.  Romaine hearts, Spring Mix/Spinach medley, purple cabbage, English cucumber, green onion, chopped fresh parsely, and cherry tomatoes.  I also threw in some toasted almonds, because well, they're delicious and make me feel fancy.  I tossed the salads in the vinaigrette and topped mine with bleu cheese crumbles, Eric's with pecorino and romano.  That dude has no idea what he's missing with the bleu cheese, but whatevs.  Leaves more for me to gorge on later with crackers and honey, right?!?!




After the meat came off the grill we let it sit for about 10 minutes so it would stay juicy.  After the obligatory waiting with our mouths watering all over the steak we wanted juicy anyway, I thinly sliced the meat against the grain.  Voila!  We had a tender, flavorful (but not too salty) cut of London Broil placed ever so gently across our salads.  It was a Food Network moment ya'll.  I can hear the applause from here.  


There is no higher compliment for any meal as far as I'm concerned than a clean plate.  We thought about licking the bowls when we were finished, but figured we'd wait until desert to behave like complete and total animals.  Desert will consist of banana "soft serve" ice cream.  Two ingredients in this little number...bananas and cocoa powder.  

*TAKES BOW*


You're welcome.  Also; please let me know if you try it and love it.  If you try it and don't love it, praise me anyway.  You'll feel good about praising me in spite of a horrid dinner, and I'll feel good that I'm changing your life with my culinary creativity.  Win/Win again!

No comments:

Post a Comment